Our lab has inherited a server on which we would like to install a local Galaxy production server so that the labs in our department can connect to it and run various jobs. The specifics of the server are as follows:
- IBM System x3550
- processors: 2 x Intel Xeon 5140 2.33 GHz
- memory: 8 GB
- disks: 2 x 300 GB
- additional storage is possible via USB
My questions are:
- is this machine capable of serving as a Galaxy server for a hand full of people?
- which operating system is appropriate for this machine? Our initial thoughts are Ubuntu Linux server edition.
- are there pitfalls I should be aware of if we choose to install Galaxy on this machine?
Our lab members will mostly be using bioinformatics tools such as
- cufflinks, cuffdif, etc.
to process RNA sequencing data.
Thank you :)