The process goes like this:
- Launch Galaxy the first time and allow it to configure
- Stop the server
- Edit the galaxy.ini file to add in the email address of the admin (or admins)
- Start the server up again
- Register the admin accounts through the user interface
- Refresh the browser window and the "Admin" masthead button will now appear/be available
I am wondering if you stopped your Galaxy server first before typing in the terminal again? You will want the server down before you make the admin changes to the galaxy.ini file as described at http://getgalaxy.org. That way when Galaxy is restarted, those core changes take effect.
If the terminal window is completely unresponsive that is probably not Galaxy related. Maybe open a new window and start there? You can kill the process running Galaxy from another terminal window, if you need to.
Hopefully this helps, Jen, Galaxy team